Located between the ribs and the pelvis, your abs (or abdominal muscles) play an important role in supporting your trunk, allowing movement, and holding key organs in place. Giving your abs a regular workout can tone your stomach muscles, improve your core strength, and keep you looking and feeling great.
For a little inspiration, we’re listing our top 3 medicine ball ab workouts to help keep you fit:
1. Stomach Crunch and Sit-ups
If you’re just starting to work on your abs, you may want to keep it simple with some traditional stomach crunching or sit-ups with a lightweight medicine ball.
2. Sit-up Throw
The sit-up throw is a perfect exercise to do with a coach or partner.
- Begin seated on the floor, legs extended, with your partner stood by your feet.
- Get your partner to toss the ball, aiming just above your head.
- With the motion of catching the ball you should completely lower your trunk to the ground with the ball outstretched over your head.
- Gently tap the ball on the ground and with a throwing action of the arms, perform a sit up while launching the ball towards your partner’s chest.
- Wait for your partner to catch the ball to start the process over again.
3. Double-Knee Strike
When you’ve got the hang of the sit-up throw, the double-knee strike adds another dimension to your workout.
- Your partner should initiate the workout by tossing the ball over your head.
- Catch the ball and extend your body so that it’s lying flat on the ground with your arms outstretched above your head.
- Tap the ball overhead, and perform two alternating unilateral strikes of the ball to the mid thigh, extending back to tap the ball to the ground between each strike.
- Perform a double leg strike, and extend to tap the ball to the ground again.
- Finish the exercise with a sit-up throw.
- Top Tip: Your head should remain on the ground throughout all knee strikes until the final sit-up throw.
Ready to get started on your ab workouts? Don’t forget to stretch before and after you exercise. Take a look at our innovative range of Dynamax medicine balls today to enhance your workout regime. Or you can check out our blog for more inspiration.
Please bear in mind that our medicine balls are not suitable for slamming, and any damage to occur from this exercise is not covered under our two year warranty.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information.